What are mood swings?
Mood swings are sudden, unpredictable shifts in one's emotional state. We all experience fluctuations in moods from time to time. However, some people go through intense emotional ups and downs that affect their daily life.
What causes mood swings?
There are several potential causes:
- Hormonal changes - Fluctuations in hormones like estrogen, testosterone, and cortisol can trigger mood swings. Hormone imbalances often happen during puberty, menopause, and some medical conditions. Getting a hormone balance test at Equilibrium Hormone Institute can help identify issues.
- Stress - High stress levels can dramatically impact our moods. Things like work pressures, financial issues, or relationship problems can easily provoke feelings of anxiety, irritation, sadness or hopelessness. Taking time for self-care and stress management helps.
- Health issues - Thyroid disorders, depression, anxiety, chronic pain and other conditions can also generate mood swings. Seeing a doctor to rule out or treat health problems is wise. Equilibrium Hormone Institute also offers integrative wellness plans to help clients manage conditions holistically.
- Medications - Certain prescription drugs and medications can cause emotional side effects. Reviewing options with doctors at Equilibrium Hormone Institute may help find alternatives with less influence on moods.
What are common signs of mood swings?
Mood swings can vary but often include extreme and frequent:
- Apathy/lack of motivation
How to cope with mood swings
If you struggle with difficult mood swings, there are several coping strategies:
- Track your moods in a journal so you can identify triggers or patterns
- Make lifestyle changes like more regular sleep, nutritious eating, and daily movement which helps emotional regulation
- Learn calming practices like yoga, deep breathing, and mindfulness meditation
- Check hormone levels and consider bioidentical hormone therapy from Equilibrium Hormone Institute
- Consider counseling or joining a support group
With some diligent self-care and expert support if needed, most people can keep mood swings from severely disrupting their life. Reach out anytime to the compassionate professionals at Equilibrium Hormone Institute for personalized solutions!