If you visit your doctor or any medical practitioner and tell them about your low testosterone levels, there is a high chance that they will prescribe a testosterone cream. This could be one of the prescriptions to help you keep your testosterone levels where they need to be.
The main reason people choose to go with this type of cream is to avoid the injections that might require them to see a doctor when their levels drop. Another way to boost the levels is through testosterone pills, which can be easily acquired from your local pharmacy. You can also try a testosterone patch, if this works better for you.
The following are some of the things that you should know if you choose to use a testosterone cream as a testosterone booster. It is always important to know what to expect before you start using a product, because you do not want to have any surprises or face any problems related to the product.
1. How to Apply Testosterone Creams
Unlike the testosterone injections, the cream is easy to apply. The product is designed to be absorbed through the skin. This means you will need to apply it just like the normal lotions and creams. After being absorbed, it will get to work and this will lead to an increase in your levels of testosterone.
The application of the cream is usually prescribed once a day. It is recommended that you apply it in the morning. Applying the testosterone cream the same time every day will work positively towards helping you remember to apply it.
It is important that you follow the directions provided on the label carefully. If there is a part you do not understand, ask your pharmacist or doctor to explain it, so that it is clear. It is crucial that you use the cream as directed. Do not apply more or less than prescribed by your doctor.
If you take a shower in the morning, make it a point to do so before the cream application. Make sure you read the instructions on matters related to washing the applied area and how long you should wait before washing it.
2. Steps to Follow When Using Testosterone Cream
When using the cream, there are important steps that you need to follow to make sure that you get the best out of the product. The following steps are important in your application:
- Make sure the area you intend to apply the cream is dry and clean.
- Open the container and squeeze the packet or tube to place the right amount of product on the palm of your hand. It is always easy when you first squeeze the product on the palm and apply it in small portions. Some brands might come with applicators, which make things easier.
- Do not use your fingers to apply the medication.
- Gently apply the cream to the chosen area. Make sure it is still clean and dry.
- After you have emptied the packet, dispose it in the trash can safely making sure it is out of reach or children and pets.
- After the application, wash your hands with soap and water immediately.
- Allow the cream to dry for a few minutes before covering the area with clothing.
3. Some Special Precautions
Prior to the start of using testosterone cream, there are a few precautions that you need to keep in mind. This is to make sure that the use of the product will be safe for you.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- What to Do if You Have an Allergy: It is important to talk to your doctor or your pharmacists in case you are allergic to testosterone, medications, or ingredients used in topical testosterone products. You can ask the pharmacist about the contents of the product.
- Start with a Patch Test: You might be allergic to some components of the product without being aware of that. Therefore, it is important that you become extra sure. You can try a patch test for that purpose. To perform this test:
- Start off by washing your hand with tap water.
- Dry it with a clean towel.
- Take a small amount of the product and apply it to the back of your hand.
- Keep it for at least 30 minutes before washing it off. If you develop redness, itching or swelling of the applied areas, it suggests that you are allergic to the product and you should not use it.
- Beware of the Interactions: Talk to your pharmacist or doctor about the prescription or non-prescription medications you are taking or are planning to take in the near future. This should include herbal products, nutritional supplements or vitamins. It is important that you mention insulin, anticoagulants or blood thinners, and steroids if you are using them. With this information, your doctor may change the dosage or put you under close monitoring for any side effects. That is mainly because testosterone cream may increase or decrease the effectiveness of a product that you are using.
- What to Do if You Have a Medical Condition: Inform your doctor if you have prostate or breast cancer. The doctor will probably tell you not to use topical testosterone.
You should also tell your doctor if you suffer from any of the following medical conditions:
- Sleep apnea
- High blood levels of calcium
- Benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH)
- Heart failure
- Liver disease
- Lung disease
- Kidney disease
The use of testosterone products is not recommended in any of the above-mentioned medical conditions.
4. Special Dietary Information
Unless your doctor tells you to follow a specific diet, you should continue with your normal diet the use of testosterone cream should not affect your diet in any way. However, if you are following a particular diet because of another condition, it is important that you inform your doctor before you start using the product.
5. What if You Forget a Dose?
If you happen to forget a dose, you should take the forgotten dose as soon as you remember; however, if the dose you missed is close to the next one, you can just ignore the missed one and continue with the next. It is a bad idea to take a double dose to cover the missed one. To be on the safe side you can use reminders on your phone to keep you aware of when you should take your next dose.
6. What Side Effects Should You Expect with a Testosterone Cream?
As expected, the most common side effects due to the topical testosterone products will occur where the product comes into contact with the body, the skin. This applies to gels, solutions and testosterone patches. These side effects may include:
- Fluid-filled blisters
- Irritated or red skin
- In some cases , there might be severe itching
Other side effects may include:
- A decrease in sexual desire
- Mood changes
- Teary eyes
- Dry itchy skin
- Breast enlargement. Some people have also reported some pain on the breast
There are some testosterone cream side effects that are considered serious. If you happen to experience any of the following, you should immediately call a medical practitioner:
- Redness, swelling or pain in the lower leg
- Shortness of breath
- Difficult or slow speech
- Swelling of lower legs, ankles, feet or hands
- Chest pain
- Erections that happen too often and last too long
- Difficulty breathing especially when sleeping
- Changes in skin color
- Yellowing of eyes or skin
- Difficulty urinating, frequent urination, weak urine flow or a sudden need to urinate
- Numbness or weakness of leg or arm
- Faintness or dizziness
- Rash and hives
The severity and frequency of these side effects increase significantly if you have a medical condition related to your liver, bladder, prostate, kidneys or heart. It is, therefore, important that you either avoid the use of testosterone products altogether or at least talk to your doctor before using them.
When used in high doses, testosterone cream might affect the number of produced sperm. It is important to talk to your doctor about the involved risk of using this cream especially if you would like to have children. You should also talk to your doctor about the use of testosterone medication and the increased risk of prostate cancer.
There might be other testosterone cream side effects men experience and it is important that you see a doctor if you experience anything out of the usual.
7. What is the Right Dosage?
It is quite important that you follow the suggested dosage, as recommended by your doctor or pharmacist. The products also come with instructions that should be carefully followed.
Typically, creams and solutions are applied once in a day. Where you apply the product will differ depending on the specific brand you are using.
It is important that you do not apply the cream to the scrotum, penis or in areas that have cuts, irritation or open sores.
Though there have not been reports of overdose from testosterone products or any other androgens, it is important to go to a medical doctor in case of overexposure or signs of overdosing.
As mentioned above, missed doses should not be taken with the next dose, take them as soon as you remember but if it is too late, wait for the next dose. This will help prevent any cases of overexposure or overdosing.
8. Watch Out for Weight Gain
When using testosterone products, there is a chance that you might gain a little weight; however, if you experience any abnormal weight gain, it is a problem. If you notice that you are quickly gaining weight after you have started using the testosterone cream, you should immediately report this to your doctor. There might be other underlying reasons causing the weight gain and should be addressed as soon as possible.
9. How a Testosterone Cream Works
As mentioned earlier, the cream is applied once a day on the skin. The aim of this application is to ensure that the levels of testosterone in the body remain even. You can apply the cream on different parts of the body including the shoulders, upper arm or stomach. This may depend on the brand you are using or on your preference. To keep the skin irritation side effect controlled, you might want to apply the cream on rotation on these parts.
The absorption rate ranges from 25 to 60 percent. This means that the volume of the product needs some adjustment to meet the absorption rate. This is one of the drawbacks of the cream and is the reason why some people use other testosterone medications.
Though this is the case, testosterone creams have become the alternative to injections and patches which might not work as well as the creams do. The product comes with a higher testosterone per volume concentration which makes it more manageable. The use of creams will ensure you get the dose of testosterone you need without the use of an invasive method such as injections. The cream only requires a small area of application, dries fast and has a low alcohol content compared to injections, this is a safer and more convenient way to boost your testosterone levels.
10. How Safe are Testosterone Products?
Most of the studies carried out on testosterone therapy are based on men younger than 65 years. There have been a few studies involving older men focusing on the safety and effectiveness of the treatment. The researchers did not find any solid evidence showing long-term adverse effects of testosterone therapy; however, there is a lack of intensive research on the adverse effects of the use of testosterone products, including testosterone creams.
It is, therefore, important to use the cream for recommended situations to prevent any long-term effects that are vaguely known and those that are not known at all. Because of the safety concerns, the American Institute of Medicine has recommended that there be short but well-structured testosterone studies in older men.
11. You Have Some Alternatives
As mentioned, testosterone goes low with age. The low levels of testosterone or its deficiency can result in disease or damage to the pituitary gland, hypothalamus and testicles. Treatment is all about the replacement of testosterone through different means including medication and natural supplements. The method of delivery is greatly determined by the deficiency of duration and age.
If you do not want to use a testosterone cream or have developed a side effect then the alternative products available include Provacyl and TestRX. These are supplements that have been tested and have shown great results. If you have been looking for testosterone medications to give your T-levels a boost, then you might want to consider these. These medications may help in the addition of huge muscles, more energy, achieve weight loss and crank up your sex drive. It is also important to mention that people are different and the results might vary with the user.
12. Testosterone Cream Effectiveness: Do These Creams Really Work?
First, the fact that the testosterone is delivered through the application on the skin makes it convenient and a great option considering the other methods. There have been some people who have reported a significant improvement in sexual receptivity and an increase in sexual initiation frequency. As you already know, low levels of testosterone result in reduced muscle mass and an increase in body fat. It also leads to loss of memory, heart disease and a decrease in libido levels. Some of these symptoms can lead to low self-esteem.
When all these symptoms caused by low testosterone are put together, they are collectively known as ‘male menopause’. Testosterone creams have been indicated effective in dealing with these symptoms. This explains why they have suddenly become more popular than most of the other methods of testosterone delivery.
That said; you can now see why the depletion of testosterone in the body can be a recipe for a number of health problems. This is where the testosterone cream comes in and why you might want to consider using it if your levels are going low.
13. Storage and Disposal
You should keep the medication in the container it comes in. This should be tightly closed and it should be out of reach of children. It should be stored at room temperature and away from excess moisture and heat. This means it should not be in the bathroom or the kitchen.
If there is any unneeded medication, you should dispose it off in special ways that ensure that children and pets do not come into contact with it. Though this is the case, you should not flush the medication down the toilet. The best way is to use the medicine-take-back program. You can talk to your pharmacist about this. When storing your testosterone products, make sure no one else can come into contact with them on purpose or accidentally. Always keep track of your medication to notice when there is a missing dose.
14. When to See a Doctor While Using T Cream
You should talk to your doctor when:
- Starting the Use: It is extremely important that you see a doctor before starting the use of testosterone creams. You should make sure that you are medically fit and this method of testosterone replacement is suitable for you.
- You Experience Side Effects: The use of even a prescription testosterone cream has side effects which might be specific to different people. Keep in mind the side effects mentioned before and talk to your doctor if you experience any of them.
- The Treatment Does Not Work: There are different treatment methods and talking with medical practitioner will have you using one that is best for you. This is also because the prescription might depend on your health status.
15. Some Other Important Testosterone Cream Details
If you are looking for testosterone products, you might want to check out the written prescription testosterone cream reviews to have an idea of how effective the product is. It is always a good idea to hear it from people who have used the product. You should ensure that the reviews you read are genuine. There are many testosterone cream for sale and you can go for one that will deliver desired results. The product can work but you will need to be open to your doctor when you go for the first visit.
16. How to Tell if You Need a Testosterone Cream
In most cases, testosterone levels start dropping with age. This can lead to a bunch of other problems including reduced libido and a buildup of fat in some areas of the body. In most cases, fat will build up around the belly area. In general, men have less fat around the stomach and this is because of the testosterone. The reason why women have more fat around their abdominal area is because they lack testosterone. In other words, if you are gaining weight, it may be due to your low testosterone levels.
A drop in testosterone levels may bring with it a number of other problems too and one of them is depression. Testosterone creams along with other testosterone products are becoming the preferred solutions to low levels of testosterone. These products help in alleviating the symptoms that come with low testosterone levels in the body.
Besides, other symptoms of low testosterone may include:
- Reduced libido
- Early ejaculation
- Difficulty in achieving or maintain erection
- Difficulty in sleep
- Poor memory
- Development of man-boobs
- A feeling of fatigue and lethargy
You may experience some or most of the above-mentioned changes. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important that you talk to your doctor. Your doctor may prescribe you a testosterone cream.
A testosterone cream is an effective way of replenishing low testosterone levels. It is important that you keep in mind the precautions mentioned and talk to your doctor before the start of use of the product or when you experience side effects. In a nutshell, these products are one of the safest ways you can restore your deteriorating testosterone levels.